Friday, January 23, 2009

La luna ya se metío

Life in Cacalote
Before we get down to the hard work of the week that looms before me, I thought that I would share with you some of the fun and recreation we enjoy living on the coast of Oaxaca. I know that many of you are dealing with winter and snow, and more snow...


Last week I attended my first Cacalote Quinceñera. I was told that it would be "like a wedding" and indeed it was. The Quinceñera is the 15th birthday celebrations held for Mexican young ladies, sort of a Sweet Sixteen but bigger. This young lady's name is Melinda . The ceremony was at the Cacalote Church which we have been attending. There was worship, a sermon and much admonition to serve God and dedicate her life. She also made a proclamation that her intent was indeed to give her life to God in every way.



After the service Melinda and her attendance and the whole party walked from the church up the hill to the family house. Here Chris Cook is helping to slow down traffic on the highway so the Quinceñera party could cross the road.

Hermanos Lida and Leti enjoying the party.


When we arrived the lot next to the simple house was decked out in balloons and decorated tables and LOUD band was playing. A cow had been killed to provide us with delicious barbacoa. There were lots presents for Meli, and quinceñera recuerdos (nice party favors) handed out to the guests. The best gift, given last, was a desktop computer that Dave and Laura Nelson helped provide. Meli is a serious student and wants to be a doctor!



Presents are presented personally


Sunday morning


I took these pictures of Cacalote on my way home from church on Sunday. We live here and often go out tacos since it is a long walk to the base for dinner, and a short walk to Maria's for tacos. Yipee! she is now also serving tortas. We have eaten there 4 times this week.


Although there are more and more brick houses, the houses are usually of stick which come from the coconut palms which surround us on all sides.


Eddie teaching backgammon to Chris, on the beach


So far we have been able to enjoy weekends on the beach and in Puerto Escondido kicking around, drinking limonada con aqua mineral. Chris Cook's parents were the first doctors to come to Roca Blanca, and Chris has been here since he was little guy. Last year he graduated from the Bible school. This year he is working with the Clinica Coban (named after his brother who is with the Lord). He is a great kid and we are enjoying hanging out with him.


Weekends Mexican families come to the beach to relax. Just beyond these folks is the spot where I like to swim, it's calm and clean and wonderful.


Me helping Dr. Dave with minor surgery

My primary respondsibilities revolve around the Mobile Clinic and clinic outreaches. I organize, maintain, inventory and purchase for the mobile pharmacy. Then on outreach I run the pharmacy, fill prescriptions, teach and supervise the volunteers and students and give instructions to the patients on how to take the meds.
I also help in the clinic with interpreting for the English speaking doctors, help with procedures, and fill prescriptions when I am needed.


Happy 50th Birthday Hermana Laura!
Angie, Laura and Lupe

Last night we surprised Laura up at Hermano Mauricio's house with balloons, iguana tamales and rain! We tried to ignore the drops that fell, our host provided large umbrellas and we stood waiting for it to stop. Which it didn't.

Angie and I wet and cool!


Here are our nursing student from Oral Roberts University, Hannah, Mary, Brittany and Jennifer. Every year we get to work with a nursing leadership class that is with us for a month. This group is always one of the highlights of our year. Right now they are busily counting vitamins and ibuprofen and bagging them for this week's clinics in the mountains.




Brady, who is supposed to be a picky eater found out that iguana tamales were really quite good, but I am not convinced.


Murray, Melody and Brady Papke have left the base this morning after working here for 3 months. They are professionals who have been working with the directors of Roca Blanca, Duane and Sue, to establish a capital plan for the development of the ministry. That means that they worked together to define the vision and set dates for projects so that financial support can be presented in a way that business people can understand and invest in God's work here.

Las Mañanitas

Every morning Eddie and I wake up to Las Mañanitas which is the morning song played over the loudspeakers in Cacalote. It is the traditional birthday song. So in that today is actually Laura's birthday I talked a few people into joining me in serenading Laura at 6:15 in the morning. Do you know how dark it is then? The stars where bright as I walked to the base in the dark, but it was scary because I heard dogs barking and wondered if they were after me. They weren't.
La luna ya se metío (already the moon has set) words from Las Mañanitas

After the song I went to the top of the guest house to watch the sun rise. The moon was the smallest sliver in the pale sky. As I looked over the beach the fishermen were putting out, their motors sputtering loudly. Two of the nursing students were jogging on the beach, and then a little later I saw Eddie walking next to the surf as well. I think I two ibis gracefully glide over the base and land in a coconut tree. As the sun broke over the horizon I saw that everything was greener because of the rain.

And then to work.

No comments: