Sunday, February 21, 2010

Life with the Elim Students at Roca Blanca

Nurse Vernessa, daughter-in-law, hermana Carmelita and student Sheila at home visit

Impingement of Sciatic nerve, probably...

Well it has been a wild week for me. Mostly I spent it on my back in severe pain. Never, I say never, will I try to transfer a non-weightbearing patient again. I have spent the last week on my back in bed or on the floor, or pacing trying to get some relief from the worse most persistent pain I have ever experienced.

It started with a precious woman who I had the joy to care for. She was homebound so we were visiting her to make sure she was taking her meds and tracking the healing of a bedsore she had developed.

I have really been happy to see that my little training in wound care has served us well with her wound. However the other day when I went to check on her she wasn't in her bed so I went to help her transfer herself to a position where I could examine her. She had been able to support herself before but suddenly I found her in my arms dead weight! Rather that put her back I moved her to the bed. I thought "I may pay for this later".

Two days passed, I was fine. I took a "me day" in Puerto. I took a micro into Puerto Escondido, had Pan Frances at Cafecito. I walked the beach while talking to friends and family on the phone. What a wonderful day that was. That night I noticed a little tug in my back. The next morning it started hurting more, and it all went downhill from there.

Laura informed me that we had a great chiropractor in Puerto Escondido and I was grateful to make his acquaintance Wednesday morning. But the spasms had gone too far, and the inflammation and pain was so severe that one visit wasn't enough. The muscle relaxants and anti-inflammants I was taking wasn't making any difference.

I finally tried a strong pain reliever called tramadol. That only made me extremely nauseous. Thursday night found Laura loading me into the car with my pillow, my water bottle, and my barf bag in hand as I was crying in pain. I felt like a laboring woman going to the hospital to deliver a baby.

Quite an embarrassing sight as I think of it now. We RN's often say, "every patient deserves a nurse" and the Lord blessed me to have Laura.

Off we drove down the winding road to Puerto at around 9:30 PM, in a light rain. She had to drive slowly because of the rain, and a convoy of 5 white semi-tractor trailers in front of us on the road.

The appointment at the chiropractor's was quick and culminated with me utilizing my barf bag violently. I was sent home with some directions to lay on the floor, elevate my legs on a chair and apply ice. And so, after a hard night, the pain began to lessen.

Friday around 5 PM I rose from my bed reluctantly and walked across the campus. I ate a little white rice, took a little ice tea then went up to the top floor of the guest house and enjoyed the cool breezes courtesy of the earlier rains.

Well, that was probably too much information. But suffice it to say, I am recovering, wearing a support belt and being very quick to "lay on the floor and apply ice" at the slightest suggestion of pain.

Elim Students


Dr. Mary Kay showing Bethany how to test for the Babinski reflex on Rosie


Our life here these days has been a combination of student lectures by Drs. Dave and Mary Kay, plus clinical days with patients who come to the clinic. The students sit in on the consults and discuss with the doctors the ailments and finer points of diagnoses.


Sheila using an opthalmascope

I am enjoying the lectures when I can sit in. I interpret for Dr. Dave when he sees patients. Actually, Dr. Dave's Spanish has improved so much, I usually just sit in to help him out with understanding the patients, but this week he was using more English so the students could understand what he was saying.

Me interpreting for Dr. Dave, Kaie and Vernesa

I would like to recommend that you check out Drs. Dave and Mary Kay's blog. There are some good stories to add that I can't write here. There is a pretty graphic picture of a wound that I helped the students dress, with a pretty sad story. But a good warning to take diabetes seriously. When you are done reading this, go to http://www.nessblog.com/roca/ You may have to type it in the address.

Feliz CupleaƱos Saul

Saul and his sister Lore, who is a nursing student and has been with our clinic for years

This last week we have also enjoyed a birthday party. Saul, one of our clinic staff turned 30!
We had tacos, iguana tamales, jamaica and chocolate birthday cake.

we had a great feast!

And to add to our celebrations, Dr. Eder who has been serving at the Corban Clinic for, I believe, 3 years, as our resident doctor. Has received his "titulo" which endows him with all the rights and privileges of a physician. We are so very proud and happy for him.

Dr. Eder, Paulina and Nelly

I suspect that if you look back through the archives you should find the pictures of Dr. Eder and Paulina's wedding. Last year they added a precious little jewel to our clinic family, Nelly! She is such a happy baby, complete with her daddy's dimple.



So, goodbye for now. Less than 3 weeks until I return home to my honey in Mount Vernon. I can't wait...but still there are many days of clinic, and classes and patients and an outreach up to El Mosco. We leave Fridays morning. Please pray for my back!

I'll close for now, I have to get the medication shopping list ready for tomorrow's trip to Puerto.

2 comments:

A & E said...

Leeann,
Despite your back trouble, it sounds like you are feeling God's presence and enjoying the opportunities you have to serve! I am praying for His hand to be upon you with healing and grace to do all that He's sent you there to do. ~Angela

A & E said...

Leeann,
Despite your back pain, I see that you are making the most of every opportunity God has placed before you. I pray that your pain will decrease substantially in the next day and that His hand will touch you to heal you in every way.
Love,
Angela